From far beyond our galaxy came a spark of creation. It arced through space and drove into the heart of our planet. As cosmic events transpired, that spark was called to wake. PROGENY was born, surging up though the crust of the Earth. It knew its two directives. It's first command: Destroy. It can assume many forms, and will make use of all of them to lay waste to lay waste to its surroundings. Its second command was less simple, but even more important: It must prepare for the arrival of its progenitor. PROGENY is the harbinger of the downfall of the human race, and with it, the multiverse itself.
- References for Cards in this deck and in other decks. See the full list here.
- Link to sources for confirm-able information, separate unconfirmed in a different section, RL Card References in a third, and Art References in a fourth. See This page for more detailed information on how to categorize references
- Progeny is the only villain that gave the Chairman cause for concern Podcasts/Episode_11
- As a near-unkillable engine of destruction bent on the annihilation of everything it sees, Progeny is similar to the DC villain Doomsday. As a shapeshifting creature which can mimic various forms and superpowers, he draws comparisons to Amazo, another DC villain.
- Progeny is meant to be the forerunner for an even more powerful force, referred to in his character bio as his “Progenitor.” This trait is likely a reference to the Silver Surfer, the herald of Galactus, the Eater of Worlds. The fact that both characters have a silvery continence furthers the comparison.
- The flavor text of “Beginning of the End” is a reference to the “Death of Superman” comic event, which had Doomsday advancing at a seemingly unstoppable rate towards Superman’s hometown of Metropolis. The flavor text replaces Metropolis with Megalopolis, Legacy’s hometown.
- As a metallic shapeshifter, Progeny is similar to the T-1000, the villain of the film “Terminator 2.” This is further referenced on the card “Obvious Futility,” which shows Progeny shapeshifting into a form which mimics Mainstay after Mainstay punches it. In “Terminator 2,” the T-1000 could mimic a person after they made physical contact with it.
- Beginning of the End (x2)
- Elemental Outburst (x3)
- Progeny deals the hero target with the highest HP 1 fire damage, 1 cold damage, and 1 lightning damage.
- Art: A metallic-liquid Progeny wrapped around K.N.Y.F.E., shooting fire and ice beams on her.
- Flavor text: "Get her out of there! She's no match for that thing!" - Parse, Freedom Five Annual #29
- Form of the Harbinger (x3)
- Reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until a scion card is revealed. Put it into play. Discard the other cards revealed this way. Progeny deals each hero target 1 energy damage.
- Art: A metallic-liquid Progeny forming its left arm into a molten rock.
- Flavor text: "It shifts through forms without purpose or focus. It reeks of chaos and malice." - Fanatic, Prime Wardens #40
- The Inevitable (x3)
- Reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until an ongoing card is revealed. Put it into play. Discard the other cards revealed this way. Progeny deals each hero target 1 energy damage.
- Art: Progeny punching a barrier protecting Argent Adept.
- Flavor text: "I cannot... Hold it back... for much longer!" - The Argent Adept, Prime Wardens #37
- Hour of Reckoning (x2)
- Hero cards cannot be played. At the start of the villain turn, destroy 1 ongoing card belonging to each player, then destroy 1 scion card and this card.
- Art: Progeny gripping a battle torn Legacy on one hand and his cape on another. Nightmist and Dark Visionary watch behind them.
- Flavor text: "I cannot reform without risking destruction. We must bide our time and hope for aid" - Nightmist, Freedom Five #764
- Obvious Futility (x2)
- Damage dealt by Progeny is irreducible. Reduce damage dealt to Progeny by 1.
- Art: Mainstay shocked as his punch is absorbed by an unflinching Progeny (Progeny's face copying Mainstay's).
- Flavor text: "Uh, hey Uncle Jackson? I don't think you should punch that thing anymore... " - The Idealist, Freedom Five #765
- Time of Tribulation (x2)
- Increase damage dealt by Progeny by 2. At the start of the villain turn, destroy 1 equipment card belonging to each player, then destroy 1 scion card and this card.
- Art: Progeny chasing after Tachyon, gliding past Tempest.
- Flavor text: "I can't keep ahead of it! It's like it knows our every move before we do!" - Tachyon, Freedom Five Annual #29
- Scion of Blight (x2)
- When this card enters play, Progeny deals each hero target 1 toxic damage. Then, if there are 3 or more scion cards in play, destroy 1 scion card other than this card. The first time Progeny is dealt damage each turn, 1 player must discard 1 card.
- Art: Snake-like Progeny with bladed arms emitting green gas from its body. Scholar tries to ward it off while Expatriette slumps down on the background.
- Flavor text: "Damn! *KOFF KOFF* We gotta take this thing out before it kills everyone!" - Expatriette, Freedom Five #763
- Scion of Flame (x2)
- When this card enter play, Progeny deals each hero target 1 fire damage. Then, if there are 3 or more scion cards in play, destroy 1 scion card other than this card. Increase damage dealt by Progeny by 1.
- Art: Progeny standing in the center of a crater, turning into a solid rock form with lava flowing into the cracks of its skin.
- Flavor text: "It stand, waiting. A challenge. We should be prepared for the worst, my friends." - Haka, Prime Warden #36
- Scion of the Frost (x2)
- When this card enters play, Progeny deals each hero target 1 cold damage. Then, if there are 3 or more scion cards in play, destroy 1 scion card other than this card. The first time Progeny is dealt damage each turn, Progeny regains 2 HP.
- Art: Writhe and Dr. Medico blasting an ice-formed Progeny.
- Flavor text: "It regrows and reforms faster than we can chip away at it!" - Dr. Medico, Freedom Five #765
- Scion of the Storm (x2)
- When this card enters play Progeny deals each hero target 1 lightning damage. Then, if there are 3 or more scion cards in play, destroy 1 scion card other than this card. At the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.
- Art: Liquefied Progeny swirling around Chrono-Ranger with purple lightning streaks around its body.
- Flavor text: "Well now, ain't you an ugly one... " - Chrono-Ranger, Freedom Five Annual #29
- Progeny’s flips depend on if any heroes have < 10 HP. This excludes those that have no hit points at all because they are incapacitated.