The Celestial Tribunal
In the far-reaches of space, there drifts a colossal unmanned manufactory, shaped like a sword.
None know the true origins of the vessel, but many believe that some ancient alien race built the factory to act as judge and jury for a neighboring planet. The ship houses an impartial A.I. that 'Judges' the actions of any sentient life-forms it encounters. Then, if it senses any impropriety, it dispenses its executioners. Automatons are built to severely punish those who the ship deems reprehensible. However, the A.I. is inordinately harsh in its rulings. So much, in fact, that many thing this spelled the fate of the original creators of the A.I.
The Celestial Tribunal has acted thusly for millennia. If it finds its way into your galaxy, or if you find yourself in the range of its scanners, be prepared for a harsh sentence.
- References for Cards in this deck and in other decks. See the full list here.
- Link to sources for confirm-able information, separate unconfirmed in a different section, RL Card References in a third, and Art References in a fourth. See This page for more detailed information on how to categorize references
- The holographic images pictured on “Found Wanting” display Dr. Tremata and the Fence. Both are shown with a projectile (a dart and an arrow respectively) jutting from the left side of their chests. The human heart is usually located on the left side of the chest. It is very probable that both of these characters were killed by such an injury. Based on the facial structure and hairline, the silhouetted figure on the third image to the right may be Tony Taurus.
- Relating to the above, the villain accused for the assaults/murders depicted on “Found Wanting” is referred to by the flavor text as “Heartbreaker.” Based on the methods of dispatch the holograms depict, it is clear that his name is a pun on his method of killing. The fact that heartbreaker uses various thrown projectiles to attack may make him an homage to the Marvel villain Bullseye.
- "Character Witnesses" shows the Dark Watch team coming to the defense of Harpy (in her solo hero costume, rather than either her Villain or Dark Watch costumes).
- "Called to Judgement" shows Sky-Scraper as a defendant and Tempest as a witness.
- "Paragon of Sentience" shows the Celestial Adjudicator observing The Scholar and Guise in a battle withAeon Men.
- "Representative of Earth" shows Omnitron-X being watched by the Celestial Adjudicator and Celestial Executioner.
- The tribunal is the only deck in SOTM that can draw cards from decks not used in the current in-play game (“Representative of Earth”). Until the Guise variant Completionist Guise was released.
- A court of powerful aliens judging humanity is a well-known science fiction staple. Perhaps the most popular example is the 1987 pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation “Encounter at Farpoint,” in which the human race was judged by an omnipotent race called the Q. In the episode, a small handful of humans were selected to represent the entire species, an M.O. shared by the Tribunal.
- The spaceship which houses the Celestial Tribunal is shaped like a massive sword. This may be a reference to the Sentient World Observation and Response Department (S.W.O.R.D.) from Marvel comics, a global defense group dedicated to protection from extraterrestrial threats. Additionally, the tribunal ship bears a strong resemblance to S.W.O.R.D.’s orbital base of operations, the Peak.
- The font for the Celestial Tribunal card backs is nearly identical to the one used in the 2011 superhero film Green Lantern.
- Called to Judgement (x1) : When this card enters play, search the Environment trash and deck for Representative of Earth and put it into play. 1 Hero may use the power on the Hero character card in this play area now. Then, shuffle this card and the Environment trash into the Environment deck. Art: Sky-Scraper bound with Tempest looking on; Narrator
- Character Witnesses (x1) : At the end of the Environment turn, if each player discards 1 card, each target next to a trial regains (H) HP. At the start of the Environment turn, 1 Hero may use the power on the Hero character card in this play area. Art: A bound Matriarch looks back as the Dark Watch teams comes into the room; Narrator
- The Celestial Chamber (x2) : At the start of the Environment turn, move 1 Tribunal A.I. card from the Environment trash into play. At the end of the Environment turn, if there are no trials in play, play the top card of the Environment deck. Art: A large chamber with a small silhouette of a figure that looks like Omnitron-X standing in the middle; Narrator
- Found Wanting (x2) : Play this card next to a Villain target not next to a trial. If there are no valid targets, discard this card. If the target next to this card leaves play, destroy this card. When this card is destroyed, play the top card of the Environment deck. Art: Heartbreaker being shown screens of various victims; Heartbreaker
- Paragon of Sentience (x3) : Play this card next to a Hero character card not next to a trial. If there are no valid targets, discard this card. If the target next to this card leaves play, destroy this card. When this card is destroyed, play the top card of the Environment deck. Art: The Celestial Adjudicator looking at screen showing Guise and Scholar fighting Aeon Men; Narrator
- Representative of Earth (x1) : When this card enters play, choose a Hero character card from the box and put it into play next ot this card. Set its max HP to 10. If that Hero is incapacitated, the Earth is sentenced to destruction. Game over. If this card leaves play, put that Hero back in the box. Art: The Celestial Adjudicator and a Celestial Executioner coming into a room where Omnitron-X is held hostage; Celestial Adjudicator
- Celestial Adjudicator  (x1) : Reduce damage dealt to Environment targets by 1. At the start of the environment turn, reveal cards from the top of the Environment deck until a Trial is revealed. Put it into play. Discard the other revealed cards. Art: The Celestial Adjudicator lookign at a hologram of Tachyon; Tachyon
- Celestial Executioner  (x4) : At the start of the Environment turn, this card deals each target next to a Trial 3 energy damage. If no targets are dealt damage this way, reveal cards from the top of the Environment deck until a trial is revealed. Put it into play. Discard the other revealed cards. Art: A monstrous looking robot that is the Celestial Executioner; Narrator