The Court of Blood(Environment)
- Location: Central Romania
- Groundbreaking: 26 May 1543
- Completed: 2 November 1573
- Consecrated: 3 November 1573
- Desecrated: 22 August 1614
The home of the dreaded Blood Countess, the Court of Blood is a lair of creatures thought to be mythical: vampires. They thirst for blood and feed on the living. You may have heard of them.
Fanatic's pilgrimages have brought her to far-reaches of the world, and in one such location, she encountered the Court of Blood. It did not go terribly well for her. She has traveled there more than once, each time hoping to eradicate the evil beings within, and each time being rebuffed. No mortal nor angel nor hero could hope to stand against the might of the court. And yet, many still try. Fools.
For the group page, see The Court of Blood
- References for Cards in this deck and in other decks. See the full list here.
- Link to sources for confirm-able information, separate unconfirmed in a different section, RL Card References in a third, and Art References in a fourth. See This page for more detailed information on how to categorize references
Edit this Reference
Shared with the Group page for the Court of Blood.
- Hunter Fulepet based on appearance and card text is like Van Helsing and Blade.
- Blood Countess Bathory is likely a reference to the real life Elizabeth Báthory, a Hungarian Countess who lived from 1560 until 1614. She was arrested in 1610 for kidnapping and torture of young women (some estimates put the total at over 650 victims, although the "verified" count is closer to 80) and was subject to house arrest for the last 4 years of her life. She's entered into vampire folklore due to the unsubstantiated rumor that she bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth.
- Likewise, the servant Drudge Ficko could be a reference to a servant condemned as an accomplice and subsequently beheaded and Dame Katarina could be named after the real Countess's daughter.
- The deck's red and green color scheme is also similar to the Countess's personal coat of arms.
- Angry Mob  (x2)
- At the start of the Environment turn, this card deals each target other than itself 1 melee and 1 fire damage. Then, if there are no Vampires in play, destroy 1 Environment card.
- Art: An angry mob with torches and pitchforks;
- Flavor text: "The Blood Countess must pay for her inhumanity!" The mob surged forward, tearing the wrought iron gates from their hinges on their way to the dark castle.
- Feast of Flesh (x2)
- At the end of the Environment turn, play the top card of the Environment deck. Then, if there are at least 3 Vampires in play, destroy this card. At the start of the Environment turn, each Vampire deals the Hero target with the highest HP 2 melee damage.
- Art: A man surrounded by vampires biting into him;
- Flavor text: "Sisters, daughters, this is zee night of our feasting! Zee blood moon vill rise, and we vill never fall!" The unearthly howls could be heard miles away.
- Hunter Fulepet  (x1)
- At the end of the Environment turn, this card deals the Vampire with the highest HP 2 melee damage and 1 radiant damage. Whenever damage dealt by this card destroys a Vampire, this card regains 3 HP.
- Art: Hunter Fulepet in his armor and cloak;
- Flavor text: His crossbow pointed unwaveringly at Nightmist's heart. "I know their tricks all too well. You may not be my enemy, but that does not make you my friend."
- Infecting An Heir (x2)
- At the end of the Environment turn, the Vampire with the highest HP deals the non-Vampire target with the lowest HP 2 melee damage. If a Vampire damages a character card this way, that target deals each non-Vampire target 2 infernal damage and destroys this card.
- Art: Blood Countess Bathory with blood in her mouth holding up what appears to be Tachyon who has a bite in her neck;
- Flavor text: "My my..." whispered the vampire. "You are quite delicious, speedy one! Such power in your veins, yes? Your bloodline vill be oh so exquisite!"
- Unhallowed Halls (x2)
- Non-Vampire targets cannot regain HP. Targets cannot deal radiant damage. Increase all infernal damage by 1.
- Art: Fanatic standing in the halls of the Court of Blood which has a pool of blood;
- Flavor text: The angelic figure struggled to put one foot before the other. "These walls... the air itself... everything here cries out to the cleansed! It all must fall!"
- Blood Countess Bathory  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. At the end of the Environment turn, this card deals the Hero target with the highest HP 2 melee damage and 2 infernal damage.
- Art: Blood Countess Bathory with blood surrounding he left arm and some coming towards it;
- Flavor text: "I have seen zee rise and fall of empires; tasted the lifeblood of kings and emperors," cackled the Blood Countess, her laughing mouth stained crimson.
- Dame Katarina  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. At the end of the Environment turn, this card deals the non-Vampire target with the lowest HP 3 infernal damage.
- Art: Dame Katarina using magic to control blood around her;
- Flavor text: Unity fell, grasping at her heart. The vampire approached, listening. "Zee blood, it calls to me. I cannot resist its cry. Just as your blood cannot resist me."
- Dowager Ilona  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. Whenever a Vampire deals damage to a character card, that Vampire regains 2 HP.
- Art: Dowager Ilona holding a snow globe of the Court of Blood house;
- Flavor text: "Do come in, litle Galuste. It is so very cold outside, yes? I believe you vill find my home most welcoming. You vill sleep here like never before."
- Drudge Ficko  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. Whenever a Vampire other than this card would be destroyed, restore that Vampire to full HP instead and then destroy this card.
- Art: Drudge Ficko on a rolling platform looking like he struggling to move;
- Flavor text: The frail servant's forearms bulged with unholy strength as he drug himself along the hall. "I gave my life to my mistress. I give her my death as well!"
- Matron Erzsi  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. Reduce damage dealt to Vampires by 1. At the end of the Environment turn, each Vampire regains 1 HP.
- Art: Matron Erzsi with a goblet of blood in one hand and her other hand in the water fall of blood going into a pool of blood;
- Flavor text: The long-deceased noblewoman waved an arcane symbol in the air, and the eyes of her fellow vampires all flared with new light. "Blood magic, but of course."
- Relict Dorotya  (x1)
- Increase radiant damage dealt to this card by 1. At the end of the environment turn, this card deals each non-Vampire target 1 infernal damage.
- Art: Relict Dorotya with a vale over her face in front of a cemetery;
- Flavor text: "These headstones... your husbands?" the Virtuoso of the Void prodded. "Why yes, young one. A new one each decade. Whether necessary or no."